Spring Break

Clara, I love you, but if you are not back in school by 9am tomorrow morning, my liquefied brain is going to start leaking out my ears. Sweetheart, it's not your fault. If I've learned anything from my therapy, it is that mommy has her limitations. I am sorry that your mom still has a lot of her own growing up to do. If it's any consolation, I'm trying to do it as fast as I can. On an emotional level, I'm probably an adolescent at best. But with help, at least I'm an adolescent who is making better choices. I know other moms can stay home, cook, clean, wipe bottoms, do laundry, watch a Yo Gabba Gabba marathon, read Brown Bear 32 times in a row, play make believe, and even have a kind word left for their husbands at the end of the day. But, kiddo, turns out, I am not one of those moms. I need people, more specifically, women. I need music, my music. Not the clean downloads either. I need explicit lyrics.

I need downtime. Two minutes is a great start, but ideally I'd prefer two solid hours of time to myself because unfortunately it takes me one solid hour to decompress and veg-out before I can even start prioritizing my to-do list.

I need a paycheck. I don't know why. We have everything we could ever need or want because of your daddy's gainful employment. It's just not the same as earning a paycheck. I can't explain it.

Above all, I need to move. Playing chase around the kitchen counter doesn't count no matter how many laps we make. I need to possess my body and challenge it to perform as my mind directs.

So, my dear, you have a very needy and somewhat immature mommy. The upside is, we both be knowin' this now. That's gotta take some of the pressure off you, right?
--------------------

Trifecta: Week Nineteen

Please note: my first reference to clean is not meant as an interpretation of week's prompt. It's the second one.


This week's word is:

clean (adjective)

1: free from dirt or pollution
2: unadulterated, pure
3 a : free from moral corruption or sinister connections of any kind

Please remember:
  1. Your response must be between 33 and 333 words.
  2. You must use the 3rd definition of the given word in your post.
  3. The word itself needs to be included in your response.
  4. You may not use a variation of the word; it needs to be exactly as stated above.  (No cleaning, cleaned, cleans, cleaner, cleaning lady, etc.)
  5. Your post must include a link back to Trifecta.
  6. Please submit your post's permalink, not the main page of your blog.  For example: http://www.trifectawritingchallenge.com/2012/03/trifextra-week-eight.html not www.trifectawritingchallenge.com.

Comments

  1. I can relate to this a bit, very nice little story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brown bear brown bear what do you see? I see a bottle of Jack Daniels looking at me.

      Delete
    2. LOLOLO - Every time I read this in my mommy voice in my head, I crack up. It fits perfectly. How did I miss that?

      Delete
  2. I like your story! I totally feel this on holidays because I can't escape, er, go to work ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You nailed it! I'm a dad, but see this, in my wife and in myself. Don't grow up though, Mommy Patient. I hope to never feel or act a day over 18 (especially, but not exclusively, when it comes to my music). Kids are the craziest mix of beautiful and terrible and wonderful and exhausting. You have to have them to get it, truly get it, but you have captured it here perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, whatever you are selling, I'll take two. Fine, twelve.
      No, but seriously, thanks! I'm so glad to hear that other normal, upstanding citizens (speculation on my part, I admit) relate to my plight.
      (ps- love how you described kids in your comment)

      Delete
    2. The "upstanding" is far too generous a presumption. But I feel very confident in assuring you you're normal.

      I'm not selling; you can have twelve for free!

      Delete
  4. Fantastic. I'm very entertained, and oh so sympathetic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great story. Many can relate. I think it is likely that most moms are not the "can stay home, cook, clean, wipe bottoms, do laundry, watch a Yo Gabba Gabba marathon, read Brown Bear 32 times in a row, play make believe, and even have a kind word left for their husbands at the end of the day" kind of moms. They just like to make others think they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think a lot of moms can relate to this. In fact, I may be a little guilty of making it look too easy myself. It's not like a wear a sign on my back that says..."Oh, sure, I look kind of pulled together, but I am on two anti-depressants and have been in therapy for a year." I don't open with that. You have to get to know me first. I'm doing much better now, but I have a lot of help. That was a very good decision on my part...to find the right help.

      I digress. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  6. we both be knowin' this

    yup, indeedy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take that as a big compliment coming from someone who has grandkids of her own.

      Delete
  7. You definitely be knowing' yourself. And this be totally relatable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the only way to get through this thing called parenthood is to be pretty frank with the kids. The one thing I'm not pretending now that we are >.< homeschooling (I swear we had no other choice) is that it is "good for me". It is not. I'll figure that part out eventually.

    So I guess what I am saying is, I can relate, in my own crazy way. Great use of the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *know* you will figure out how to make it work for you. You are a veteran mom. I have the utmost respect. Homeschooling is very popular in my area. There are so many groups, meet-ups, support networks, and programs for all types of homeschoolers. Sometimes I'm a little jealous.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  9. I LOVED this. I can SO relate. The humor and sarcasm are exquisite. This is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I need downtime. Two minutes is a great start ..." Oh, Mommy! Downtime is vital! Hope our narrator gets some soon. I really feel for her.

      Delete
    2. "I need downtime. Two minutes is a great start ..." Oh, Mommy! Downtime is vital! Hope our narrator gets some soon. I really feel for her.

      Delete
    3. The comments above were completely unsolicited. :o)

      Delete
  10. I would have to be on much better drugs not to relate to this:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh GOD you speak my life. I loved "my liquefied brain is going to start leaking out my ears". Spring Break is coming next week. I remember how my mother used to look forward to seeing me more. How did she DO THAT? How did she make me THINK it even if it was pure parental bullshit? I DREAD HAVING MY CHILDREN HOME ALL WEEK.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a mom but I can see that your readers that are moms can totally relate. I guess my decision to be a "professional auntie" (in order to give the little darlings back at the end of the day) is probably a good one. Knowing myself and my total lack of patience. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  13. great post. I can relate.

    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up to Trifecta this week. Yes, you nailed it. Brains are being liquified everywhere. Just wait until summer. :-) Nice job with the prompt. Hope to see you back again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Go ahead, make my day.